Towers Over Pilsen
St.Adalbert’s church, located in the Chicago neighborhood of Pilsen, was the third church established by Polish immigrants in Chicago in 1912. Over 100 years later, the neighborhood and parish have become the site of the growing Latino/Hispanic community in the city. However, the archdiocese is closing this parish in part due to a lack of funding. Because St.Adalbert’s is a cornerstone of community and culture in Pilsen, the church’s closure marks not only the end of a major site of cultural, religious and artistic importance, but raises questions about the increasing tension gentrification is bringing to Pilsen. This series explores the traditional artistic history of the space, the mixture of cultures that worship there, and the humanity found in places of divinity.